Skip to content

CHARGES DROPPED AGAINST MAN ACCUSED OF KILLING BUNCRANA BOYS IN OMAGH OUTRAGE

first_imgThe scene of devastation following the Real IRA bomb attack on OmaghProsecutors in the North have dropped the charges against a bricklayer accused of murdering 29 people in the 1998 Omagh bomb – three schoolboys from Buncrana were among the victims.Sean McLaughlin, Oran Doherty and James Barker died in the terrorist attack. Seamus Daly, 45, had been on remand in prison since being charged with the Real IRA atrocity and a range of other terror offences in April 2014.Seven years ago, Daly was one of four men successfully sued for bombing the Co Tyrone market town when he was found liable for the attack in a landmark civil case taken by some of the bereaved families.No-one has ever been convicted of the murders in a criminal court.Daly, from Co Armagh, has always denied involvement in the bombing which inflicted the greatest loss of life of any terror atrocity in the history of the Northern Ireland Troubles.The dead came from both sides of the Irish border, England and Spain. One of the victims was pregnant with twins.The dramatic decision by the Northern Ireland Public Prosecution Service (PPS) comes before Daly’s case had even reached the floor of the Crown Court.Murdered: Oran DohertyA pre-trial hearing commenced in Omagh Magistrates’ Court last week to establish whether the evidence in the case was of sufficient strength to warrant such a trial.That decision has now been taken out of District Judge Peter King’s hands, as the PPS has withdrawn the charges before the preliminary hearing had reached conclusion.A PPS lawyer officially withdrew the prosecution during a routine magistrate’s hearing at Ballymena Courthouse, Co Antrim, on Tuesday morning.Families of victims in Buncrana were told of the decision yesterday.Those who died were:James Barker, 12, Buncrana, Co Donegal. Originally from Surrey, EnglandFernando Blasco Baselga, 12, from Madrid, SpainGeraldine Breslin, 43, OmaghDeborah-Ann Cartwright, 20, OmaghGareth Conway, 18, Carrickmore, Co TyroneBreda Devine, 20 months, Donemana, Co TyroneOran Doherty, 8, Buncrana, Co DonegalAiden Gallagher, 21, OmaghEsther Gibson, 36, Beragh, Co TyroneMary Grimes, 65, Beragh, Co TyroneOlive Hawkes, 60, OmaghJulia Hughes, 21, OmaghBrenda Logue, 17, OmaghAnn McCombe, 45, OmaghBrian McCrory, 54, OmaghSamantha McFarland, 17, OmaghSean McGrath, 61, OmaghSean McLoughlin, 12, Buncrana, Co DonegalJolene Marlow, 17, OmaghAvril Monaghan, 30, Augher, Co Tyrone (who was pregnant with twins)Maura Monaghan, 18 months, Augher, Co TyroneAlan Radford, 16, Omagh, Co TyroneRocio Abad Ramos, 23, Madrid, SpainElizabeth Rush, 57, OmaghVeda Short, 46, OmaghPhilomena Skelton, 39, Drumquin, Co TyroneFred White, 60, OmaghBryan White, 27, OmaghLorraine Wilson, 15, OmaghCHARGES DROPPED AGAINST MAN ACCUSED OF KILLING BUNCRANA BOYS IN OMAGH OUTRAGE was last modified: March 1st, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:buncranadonegalOmagh bomblast_img read more

Shooting suspect escapes police barricade

first_imgCarlos Alvarado, 23, watched the scene from behind a neighbor’s fence a block from the house. “I wish I could just go back to my house,” said Alvarado. A neighbor who would not give her name said she saw two men fighting and heard two gunshots come from their direction that afternoon. “A guy drove up in a truck and was yelling at the house,” she said. “The guy in the house came out and told him to leave. They got into a scuffle. Then I heard two gunshots.” Detectives were still at the West Boulevard home Thursday night searching for clues that would lead them to the gunman. [email protected] (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3026160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinalsBut the gunman had escaped. “We thought inside the house was a suspect that was wanted for assault with a deadly weapon,” said said Lt. Jeff Cavanaugh. “Because we contained the area so quickly, we thought he was still there.” Police talked to the victim at the scene. He had been shot in the leg with a shotgun, but suffered only minor injuries and refused treatment, Cavanaugh said. A SWAT team evacuated homes on the street between Lexington Road and Columbia Avenue, shielding residents as they walked through the containment area. Dozens of people who had been forced out of their homes crowded around the police line, watching the SWAT team. PICO RIVERA – A dozen homes were evacuated for several hours Thursday as police searched for a gunman. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department deputies, a SWAT team and paramedics arrived at the scene minutes after a man was shot. Deputies contained the area, and four hours after the ordeal began, shot 12 cans of tear gas into a home on West Boulevard where they believed the suspect was hiding. Smoke billowed out of the windows and onlookers ducked at the sound of the shots. Soon after 6 p.m., the SWAT team entered the home with guns drawn. last_img read more