Skip to content

Record high: Over 100 Covid patients being treated at LUH

first_img Previous articleIreland set to receive over €1bn for Brexit falloutNext articleCatholic Church must issue ‘abject apology’ to survivors, says Bishop News Highland Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Google+ Record high: Over 100 Covid patients being treated at LUH Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Facebook WhatsApp News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Twitter Twitter WhatsApp Homepage BannerNewscenter_img Pinterest By News Highland – January 13, 2021 Google+ Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Facebook Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Pinterest Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA The number of patients at Letterkenny University hospital with Covid-19 has hit another record high, with 103 people with the virus being treated on site at the hospital.It comes as healthcare workers, who are deemed close contacts of someone with Covid 19, are being asked to return to work if they have no symptoms.1,750 patients are being treated in hospital with Covid 19 and 158 are in ICU.The head of the HSE says this is a level beyond comprehension but Paul Reid says healthcare teams are taking emergency actions to sustain this within a level of control.It’s now emerged healthcare workers who are deemed close contacts of someone with Covid 19 are being asked to return to work if they have no symptoms.7,000 are currently unavailable as they have covid or are deemed close contacts which is putting a huge strain on the health system.The HSE says these returning workers will be closely monitored RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHORlast_img read more

CBI concerned over lack of skills funds

first_imgThe Confederation of British Industry (CBI) has expressed concern over theGovernment’s failure to reform funding to make post-16 education more flexibleand responsive to local needs when it launched its national skills strategy inJuly. The strategy, which was launched amid fanfare and summer heat on 9 July atthe London Eye came with no immediate promise of extra funds to raise the levelof adult skills in England. The central message of 21st Century Skills: Realising Our Potential was forthe system of post-16 education in England to be truly ‘demand-led’ – plannedstrategically to meet the needs of UK plc. But employers, particularly inengineering, had been hoping for additional money to expand the programme ofModern Apprenticeships. While broadly supporting the strategy, the CBI was disappointed that theallocation of budgets for post-16 education remained highly centralised. CBI senior policy adviser Maniza Ntekim said 80 per cent of individualLearning and Skills Councils’ budgets goes straight to providers. “Locally Learning and Skills Councils only have 1-2 per centdiscretion. To really make a difference that needed to be freed up,” shesaid. “One of the areas we thought the Government could have gone furtherwith was funding reforms,” continues Ntekim. “Funding is key tochanging the system, making it more responsive and more demand-led.” Andrew McCoshan, director of international learning and skills consultancyEcotec Research and Consulting said that funding still goes through users:”If the young people going through the college door want to behairdressers, then the college provides hairdressing courses, even if what thelocal economy really needs is engineers. That means the funding has not been intune with what the local economy needs. “The skills strategy attempts to make the system more employerdriven,” he said. “It’s always been hard to get mainstream fundingmore employer-driven, so if [the Government] can crack that, it would begreat.” By Margaret Kubicek Related posts:No related photos. CBI concerned over lack of skills fundsOn 1 Sep 2003 in Personnel Today Comments are closed. Previous Article Next Articlelast_img read more

Beat the Peak tonight from 5 to 8 pm

first_imgOsgood, IN— SEIREMC is asking members to conserve energy from 5 – 8 pm this evening to help lower the demand on the system and reduce power costslast_img

Theophane furious over cancelled fight

first_imgKilburn’s Ashley Theophane claims Ricky Hatton’s promotional company is in breach of contract after his planned fight at the weekend was cancelled at the last minute.Theophane was due to face Chris Truman at the Manchester Arena on the undercard of Hatton’s unsuccessful return to the ring.He signed with Hatton Promotions earlier this year and says he does not blame the popular former world champion for the events of Saturday night.Instead his anger has been directed towards the company’s director of boxing Richard Poxon, who Theophane says is responsible for what he branded “a shambles”.The former British light-welterweight champion says he was initially told his would be the third fight on the bill and was later informed he would be on after Hatton’s clash with Vyacheslav Senchenko.In the end, a curfew meant Theophane did not enter the ring, leaving the 32-year-old furious – not least because his trainer had travelled from New York to be in his corner.He believes Poxon ensured two fighters he manages, Adam Etches and Scott Jenkins, were prioritised so that their bouts went ahead.“I was told at 12.10am when I was warming up to fight that I wouldn’t get on due to the curfew,” said Theophane.He added: “My team paid for my travel expenses to Manchester which should be paid for by Hattons.“Hattons were supposed to have transport for me to and from the venue but none was given.“Ricky is not to blame for this. He has employed people to do a job.”Poxon told West London Sport that Theophane had been paid in full.He also pointed out that fights being cancelled because of curfews is an unfortunate but accepted part of boxing.“It’s always disappointing when a fighter doesn’t get on but I’m afraid these things do happen,” said Poxon.“There was a curfew and it was simply the case that there wasn’t time for four of the fights to go ahead.“The others have accepted this, because it’s part of boxing, and the only one who has complained is Ashley.“It was always the case that we had title fights plus the Ricky Hatton fight that would be on television and we would put on whatever other fights we could.“It’s disappointing for Ashley and the other fighters that didn’t get on but they know this can happen in boxing and they were paid.”Theophane confirmed he had been paid, but insisted: “It’s about timekeeping and basic organisation.“I was told I was fight number three, so I definitely should have been on. You have a schedule and you should stick to it.”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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Film breakdown: Marquese Chriss is earning a role with his passing

first_imgSteve Kerr praises Marquese Chriss seemingly every chance he gets which, lately, has been quite a lot.“He’s got more skill as a passer and a screener than I realized,” Kerr has said, in one form or another, throughout the preseason.Chriss, the surprise of Warriors’ camp, is expected to make the regular-season roster due to his ability to fit in to Golden State’s motion offense. His ability to screen for shooters, pass out of the high post and run dribble handoffs will be needed as the team …last_img read more

Diamonds: local crafters get a cut

first_img9 October 2007The State Diamond Trader has entered into a deal with mining giant De Beers that will see it acquire 10% of all diamonds mined in South Africa enabling local crafters to cut and polish the gems, thereby adding more value before they are placed on the market.Minerals and Energy Minister Buyelwa Sonjica said this week that the deal aims to boost the downstream industry in South Africa, to a point where a considerable amount of value-addition to the country’s minerals is done locally.She also described the deal as “a big leap towards transformation”, as the diamonds would be sold on to mainly emerging crafts-people in the diamond industry, enabling previously excluded people to participate actively in the country’s economy.De Beers non-executive director Barend Petersen said that the company fully supported the government’s initiatives, describing the signing of the agreement as “a great day” in the history of the diamond business in South Africa.The State Diamond Trader was established on 3 September and, according to chief executive Abby Chikane, is expected to be able to supply its clients with rough diamonds for beneficiation by January 2009.De Beers will also provide the trader with technical expertise and intellectual property as it begins its work in earnest from November this year. The service and licence agreement with De Beers provides a “security of supply” that will allow for a quantifiable amount of the stones to be sold to the clients of the State Diamond Trader.Chikane pointed out that the trader would be buying diamonds at a market-related price, and subsequent pricing of the polished produce would “definitely not” be above the market rate, while the trader would itself be run on a cost-recovery basis, with the intention of passing profit margins on to its clients.In terms of the value of the agreement, 10% of South Africa’s annual production of diamonds, amounting to around US$1.4-billion, would be about $140-million (about R960-million).All diamonds purchased by the State Diamond Trader will have to comply with the Kimberley Process Certificate Scheme, which seeks to keep illicitly mined and conflict diamonds off the market.‘Not the end, just the start’Sonjica said the 10% quota assigned for sale to the State Diamond Trader was “not the end, just the start”, but added that the government was being careful not to be too drastic in ensuring that value is added to South Africa’s minerals before they are exported.She said however, that the idea of buying 10% of diamonds for local beneficiation by emerging cutters and polishers “will expand to other minerals”.In the meantime, the government is also focussing on intensive training of local diamond cutters and polishers, though Sonjica conceded that South Africa does currently falls short of the ideal level of skills for value-addition to diamonds.This was being addressed, whe said, with a group of aspiring crafters being sent to China to learn cutting and polishing skills. The government is also talking with Senegal about the possibility of South Africans being trained there.She said the government was not looking at subsidies for emerging beneficiators, but was considering incentives – not necessarily monetary incentives – to encourage more people to participate.Sonjica added that the government was also working with the Industrial Development Corporation to improve access to finance and skills training.Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

Luis Suarez returns to Uruguay squad after biting ban

first_imgUruguay striker Luis Suarez is set to play his first competitive international later this month since being banned for biting an opponent at the 2014 World Cup after he was called up on Friday for qualifiers against Brazil and Peru.Barcelona’s Suarez was suspended for nine games after biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup in Brazil. He was among 28 players named in Oscar Tabarez’s squad to face Brazil away in Recife on March 25 and Peru in Montevideo four days later, the Uruguayan FA announced on Friday.Uncapped Genoa midfielder Diego Laxalt and Manchester United right back Guillermo Varela were called up for the first time. Uruguay are second in the 10-team South American standings behind Ecuador with three wins in four games.The top four qualify automatically for the 2018 finals in Russia while the fifth-placed team goes into an intercontinental playoff against a team from the Oceania zone.last_img read more

a month agoArsenal boss Emery: We’ll keep playing out from the back

first_imgArsenal boss Emery: We’ll keep playing out from the backby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveUnai Emery admits Arsenal must improve their passing out from the back for Thursday’s Europa League clash with Eintracht Frankfurt.The Gunners’ sloppy distribution against Watford on Saturday saw them blow a two-goal lead to settle for a draw.And Emery is expecting similar high pressure from Frankfurt on Thursday.”To learn is first to have analysis on how we can improve, how we can recover our confidence playing with our objectives, starting and controlling the match, what we are doing with the ball.”Really on Sunday we needed more, that’s what we wanted. We made some mistakes and conceded some goals.”We spoke and we are working yesterday and today on how we can play tomorrow. Frankfurt are usually doing a very high press, with very fast players around the opponents.”Tomorrow we need to improve on the mistakes we made on Sunday to do better. Also we want to achieve another way on the pitch, how we can break the pressing.”After we want to control every game with the ball, with the positioning. We did that on Sunday in the first half, but in the second half we didn’t. And tomorrow is a new challenge, how we are improving, our positioning, our control and our ability to break the press.”Also how we can play the long ball and make some actions in the attacking third, to get the ball, to score and to win the match. Tomorrow is another challenge for us to show we can improve from the game on Sunday.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Threemonth extension a breather for drivers

last_img