Skip to content

Graham eager to end goal drought

first_img “I know that, I’m not going to hide. It’s up to me to work hard and make sure I get in the positions and not shy away from an opportunity when it comes my way. “Once one goes in, I’m sure a lot more will follow. The first goal would be nice, but the most important thing is the team – we need to pick up points and make sure we’re not going to struggle come the end of the season.” Former Middlesbrough trainee Graham arrived at the Stadium of Light in a £5million switch from Swansea in January 2013 under then manager Martin O’Neill, but having failed to find the back of the net in 13 appearances at the end of that campaign, during which the Northern Irishman was relieved of his duties, he became surplus to requirements. Indeed, he spent the whole of last season on loan, initially at Hull and then Boro, and joined Wolves on a similar basis for two months earlier in the current campaign. However, his return in January and the subsequent arrival of Jermain Defoe have given him a new lease of life on Wearside, and he is relishing the prospect of competing with Steven Fletcher and Connor Wickham to partner the England international once the newcomer shakes of a calf injury. Graham said: “We’re all starting from the same place. All four strikers will be playing at different times and we all bring different things to the team. “But Jermain has given everyone around the place a lift. You can see that if he gets one chance, he will more than likely put it away and that’s what we’ve been missing. “To have a player of his calibre at the football club is massive and it’s going to help us. Everyone wants to play up front with him and help him and the team do well.” The 29-year-old frontman is yet to open his account in 20 appearances for the club, but has forced his way back into contention in recent weeks and is desperate to address that situation. Graham told the Sunderland Echo: “It would be massive [to get that first goal]. Obviously, as a striker you want to be scoring goals and doing well for your football club, but that’s not been the case so far for me. Press Associationcenter_img Sunderland striker Danny Graham is refusing to hide as he attempts to end his goal drought. last_img read more

MDI Girls Down Snow Bears to Take Top Honors

first_imgThe Mount Desert Island Magic is the first team to win the Great Harbor Shootout at the junior high level and at the high school level. Members include (front, from left) Brailee Black, Sara Carroll, Jessica Swanson, Jocelyn Brown, and (back, from left) Shootout organizer Scott Phelps, coach Mike Swanson, Holly Benson, India Ross, Megan Phelps, Brigitte Pratt, Elizabeth Sargent and coach Robert Hall.—JEFF WALLSMOUNT DESERT — Basketball junkies should have their addiction sated for at least a week after the 17th annual Great Harbor Shootout (GHSO) wrapped up on March 22. Ryan Petros of Ellsworth beats a pair of Mount Desert Island Acadians to a rebound during competition last weekend at the Great Harbor Shootout. Ellsworth was one of more than a dozen Hancock County teams that helped make up the 69-team tournament field.—JEFF WALLSSixty-nine teams from across the state played in 131 games over the three-day tournament. Two teams from Mount Desert Island made it to the final dance and one ended up atop the heap. In Division 2 (high school girls), MDI’s Island Magic beat all rivals by over twice their score until the final game. The Snow Bears also had a relatively dominant ascension through the brackets. This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textThe Magic whittled away at a Snow Bears’ lead until tying the game with 3:16 left to play. A foul shot battle ensued that ended with the Snow Bears at the line and MDI holding a two-point lead. Both foul shots missed and it looked like the Snow Bears had the rebound, but somehow the ball ended up in the hands of birthday girl Megan Phelps’ hands as time ran out, giving MDI the 47-45 win and the championship. The Acadia Trojans also went to the championship round in Division 3 (junior high boys), facing last week’s Hancock County Sheriff’s Cup winner, Hampden. Hampden won 52-47. For complete story, pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American. House fire in Winter Harbor – October 27, 2014 Bio admin State budget vs. job creation – January 22, 2015center_img Latest posts by admin (see all) Latest Posts Hancock County Court News Nov. 3 thorugh Dec. 11 – January 22, 2015last_img read more

Lakers enthusiastic about Rajon Rondo possibly returning Thursday

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersAfter Monday night’s 130-111 loss to the Golden State Warriors, Coach Luke Walton tacked on some hopeful news: He believes Rondo (8.4 ppg, 6.7 apg, 4.4 rpg), with full-contact reps in the past few days, will be able to play Thursday against the Minnesota Timberwolves.That would be a significant relief to a Lakers team already without four-time league MVP LeBron James (strained left groin) and second-year point guard Lonzo Ball (sprained left ankle), two of the top three playmakers on the squad. Playing just 14 games, Rondo has missed the most time due to injury (and suspension) of anyone on the Lakers this season, but his voice and leadership have often been cited as among the most important on the roster.His return would help shuffle key teammates back to their natural positions, most notably limiting point-guard duties for Brandon Ingram, and give a dose of poise to a team sorely in need of veteran direction.“It gives us a leader, a leader on the basketball floor,” Ingram said. “Puts us in our spots on the offensive end. Pushes the pace, he can score the basketball. And it just makes our team better.”Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.If Rondo is cleared, he’d likely start at point guard – a job he lost at the beginning of the season. The 32-year-old was the starting point guard in the season-opening lineup, in part to give Ball time to acclimate from an offseason knee injury. But after serving a three-game suspension after a brawl with Chris Paul of the Houston Rockets, he was usurped as a starter by Ball, who the team drafted No. 2 overall in 2017.From there, Rondo’s season has been tossed asunder by two injuries that required surgery, both involving his right hand. He missed 17 games for a fracture suffered in November and has now missed 14 games with his sprained right ring finger. Even during his time out of the lineup, he’s been a strong presence in the film room and on the bench, described as possessing a tactical mindset similar to a coach.With Ball out for the next four to six weeks, the Lakers are as ready as ever to bring that energy onto the floor.“When he’s on the court, he’s a natural born leader,” Kyle Kuzma said. “He’s a guy that we look to because of all his experience and his credibility throughout his entire career. So whenever he’s on the court, it’s always a good thing for not only the team, but the young guys as well because we look up to him.”The larger question of when James will return is still unknown. The Lakers did not hold an official practice Tuesday, and Walton said he was “less confident” about the possibility the 34-year-old could come back Thursday than Rondo. While James was cleared to participate in some practice drills, Walton has not seen James yet participate in a full-contact scenario.ZUBAC EARNS MORE MINUTESFrom the three-headed center rotation, a new leading man has emerged.Ivica Zubac has scored at least 17 points in his past three games, including a career-high 26 points in an overtime win over the Oklahoma City Thunder. As a consequence, the Croatian 7-footer has played at least 20 minutes in each contest.While Tyson Chandler has started the past four games and JaVale McGee is understood to still be working on getting over pneumonia that plagued him in December, ,Zubac’s coming out as an offensive force has gotten him a nod from Walton and an acknowledgment that he’ll play more in the near future.Related Articles LOS ANGELES — Last week as the Lakers prepared to take on Oklahoma City, Moe Wagner and Svi Mykhailiuk found themselves on their heels against a near-unstoppable opponent.Rajon Rondo, still with a wrap around his right middle and ring fingers, was destroying them in a two-on-two scrimmage with Ivica Zubac, running a devastating pick-and-roll.“C’mon, guard him!” Wagner shouted at Mykhailiuk after Rondo had passed for a Zubac dunk. “He’s only got one (expletive) hand!”In the event the veteran point guard can play with both his hands this week, the Lakers (25-23) hope he’ll inject some of that energy into their own sputtering attack. How athletes protesting the national anthem has evolved over 17 years Lakers practice early hoping to answer all questions “He’s earned a bigger role. He’s earned bigger minutes,” Walton said. “For a team that struggles to knock down free throws most nights, he’s earned the right to be in at the end of games just by the way he shoots free throws. But, yeah, he’s doing all the little things better right now. He’s setting screens more consistently. He’s talking coverages out.”Aside from shooting 68 percent from the floor in January and making his last 13 free throws (a nearly 90 percent free-throw shooter this season), Zubac showed some of his defensive prowess Monday night by guarding DeMarcus Cousins. The All-Star center was just 2 for 9 from the field in the game.“That’s one of my weaknesses,” Zubac said. “I’m working, Tyson helped me a lot on that, and I think I did pretty good.”center_img Trail Blazers beat Grizzlies in play-in, earn first-round series with the Lakers Lakers, Clippers schedules set for first round of NBA playoffs Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Trail Blazers, Grizzlies advance to NBA play-in game; Suns, Spurs see playoff dreams dashed last_img read more