Skip to content

The NFLs Offseason Carousel Is Mostly Pointless

As my colleague Ben Morris wrote Wednesday, the NFL’s annual free agent market is not, by and large, where Super Bowls are won and lost. At best, it’s a place where teams tread water, paying the going rate for known talents. At worst, it’s where teams waste a ton of money. It’s not hard to see why: Because of “the winner’s curse,” the team that lands a coveted free agent (cough, Ndamukong Suh) is usually the one whose front office overestimated his value by the greatest amount. And with a hard salary cap in place, miscues of that sort mean another aspect of the team is necessarily handicapped with fewer resources as a result.Want more evidence that offseason roster reshuffling is pointless? Going back to the advent of the NFL salary cap (before the 1994 season), I looked at the relationship between the Approximate Value (AV) of veteran players acquired by a team1Via free agency or trades. over the offseason and how much the team’s Simple Rating System (SRS) score improved the following season. Whether you gauge the quality of incoming players using their AV from the prior season alone or their cumulative AV over the preceding three seasons, there’s essentially no connection between how much talent a team adds over the offseason and how much better (or worse) it gets that season.But maybe adding talent is only half the equation. There’s also the matter of preventing talent from leaving by re-signing veterans — or at least maintaining a positive mark in the offseason AV exchange ledger. However, even when looking at net veteran AV gained/lost over the preceding offseason, there’s still no relationship between a team’s ability to hoard proven talent in the offseason and its improvement or decline in the ensuing season.Free agency always feels like one of the most exciting parts of the NFL offseason. But if history is any guide, the vast majority of what happens this week will have little bearing on how much any given team improves or declines next season. read more

San Diego resident among six who died in Alaska midair crash

first_img May 15, 2019 Posted: May 15, 2019 ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Officials have identified the six people who died in a midair collision of two sightseeing planes in Alaska on Monday near the cruise ship port community of Ketchikan.Alaska State Troopers in a statement late Tuesday said four were American, one was Australian and one was Canadian.The cruise ship passenger victims who went on the flight excursions were identified as 46-year-old Louis Botha of San Diego, 56-year-old Simon Brodie from Temple, New South Wales, Australia, 62-year-old Cassandra Webb from St. Louis, 39-year-old Ryan Wilk from Utah and 37-year-old Elsa Wilk of Richmond, British Columbia, CanadaAlso killed was the pilot of one of the planes, 46-year-old Randy Sullivan of KetchikanThe National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the crash that also injured 10 people.The larger plane, a de Havilland Otter DHC-3 with 10 passengers and the pilot, had descended from 3,800 feet (1158 meters) feet and collided with a smaller de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver, carrying four passengers from the same cruise ship, the Royal Princess, and the pilot.The federal investigation into the cause of the crash could take months, but a preliminary report is expected to be released within two weeks, said Peter Knudson, a spokesman for the NTSB.Names have not been released for those killed or injured. However, Princess Cruises said all were Americans except for two passengers who had been missing and were from Canada and Australia.Coast Guard Lt. Brian Dykens said Tuesday evening that his agency and the Ketchikan Volunteer Rescue Squad found two bodies near the crash site of the smaller plane involved in the collision, a single-engine de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver.The planes came down about a mile and a half apart, with some of the debris field on land, about 8 miles (13 kilometers) from Ketchikan, near George Inlet.The Beaver, the smaller plane, appears to have broken apart in midair, according to Jerry Kiffer, duty incident commander of the Ketchikan Volunteer Rescue Squad. He said the plane’s tail and section of the fuselage were 900 feet (275 meters) from the aircraft’s floats, which landed near shore.The smaller plane was partially submerged in the shore of George Inlet after the single-engine plane overturned and hit some trees before crashing, according to Coast Guard Lt. Brian Dykens. The larger Otter landed in water and sank, he said.One passenger on the larger plane died, as did two passengers and the pilot on the smaller plane, Princess Cruises said in a release.Canadian officials said Tuesday that one of its citizens was among the dead. Global Affairs Canada expressed condolences but did not identify the person because of privacy reasons.The larger plane was operated by Taquan Air of Ketchikan and passengers booked the flights through the cruise ship as an excursion. The other plane was operated by Mountain Air Service of Ketchikan, and the four booked the flight independent of the cruise ship, Princess Cruises said.After the crash, the 10 injured people were initially taken to a hospital in Ketchikan. Four patients with broken bones were later transferred to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, spokeswoman Susan Gregg said.Three survivors were released from PeaceHealth Ketchikan Medical Center in Ketchikan on Tuesday. Hospital spokeswoman Marty West says the remaining three are in fair condition.The Royal Princess left Vancouver, British Columbia, on May 11 and was scheduled to arrive in Anchorage on Saturday.___Associated Press journalists Martha Bellisle in Seattle, Rob Gillies in Toronto and Michelle A. Monroe in Phoenix contributed to this report. San Diego resident among six who died in Alaska mid-air crash AP, center_img AP Categories: Local San Diego News, National & International News FacebookTwitter Updated: 9:59 AMlast_img read more

Congers Nomination to Comptrollers Office Stuck for Now

McCain to Resist House Plan to Bolster Base Budget with OCO Funds

first_img Dan Cohen AUTHOR Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, on Tuesday said it is unlikely his panel’s fiscal 2017 defense authorization bill would follow the House’s lead in using $23 billion from DOD’s overseas contingency operations (OCO) account to boost the department’s base budget.House Armed Services Chairman Mac Thornberry (R-Texas) defended the maneuver as a way to make up for a troubling shortfall in military readiness. The move would provide an extra $18 billion in base defense spending beyond the Obama administration’s budget request, but cause funding for operations overseas to run out in April 2017 and force the next president to request supplemental war funding before that point.“We are probably not going to go down that path,” McCain told CQ Roll Call. McCain said he is considering a number of options but would not disclose his plans. The Senate Armed Services Committee marks up its version of the annual defense policy bill next month.Any differences in how the two chambers’ authorization bills allocate funding would need to be reconciled in conference.last_img read more

Military to Support Request to House up to 20000 Unaccompanied Minors

first_img Dan Cohen AUTHOR The Trump administration is planning to house up to 20,000 unaccompanied migrant children on military installations, following a request from the Department of Health and Human Services to have facilities available as early as July. “HHS and DOD are working closely to determine the requirements and timing for support,” said DOD spokesman Army Lt. Col. Jamie Davis. “While four bases (three in Texas and one in Arkansas) have been visited by HHS for possible housing, it doesn’t mean any or all children would be housed there,” Davis said. HHS has inspected Goodfellow AFB, Dyess AFB and Fort Bliss in Texas, and Little Rock AFB, Ark.The children would be unaccompanied minors who crossed the Mexican border, not children separated from their parents, reported Stars and Stripes. The administration also is considering the possibility of housing families detained at the border on military installations.Photo courtesy of U.S. Customs and Border Protectionlast_img read more